As much as they may not be as long-lasting and durable as premium roofing materials like dimensional, slate, tile, or metal, 3 tab asphalt shingles remain a popular roofing option for many homeowners. They provide reliable protection for your home, and aesthetic appeal, without forcing you to spend too much. In this guide, we will explore the pros and cons of this roofing option, their maintenance, and installation costs, among others – to help you decide whether it’s the best fit for your home.
3 Tab Asphalt Shingles Pros
- Easy to install: Unlike most of the other roofing systems in San Antonio, 3 tab shingles don’t require specialized skills, equipment or training to install them. Therefore, any knowledgeable roofing contractor can install them. You can also install them on your own, if you are skilled in DIY projects, thus saving money on installation costs.
- Lightweight: As much as 3 tab shingles are not the lightest roofing material on the market, they are lightweight enough, making them compatible with almost all types of roofing systems. Furthermore, they don’t require additional structural support.
- Fast installation: As noted above, no special equipment, skills, or tools that are needed to install this roofing system. Therefore, the work will be completed within a few days, thus helping to prevent inconveniences.
- Lower installation costs: This roofing system is arguably the cheapest that you can find on the market. The cost of installing this roofing system on your home is lower than you would if you were to install metal, concrete/clay tiles, slate or dimensional shingles.
3 Tab Asphalt Shingles Cons
- Shorter lifespan compared to other shingles
- Cannot withstand high winds and extreme temperature fluctuations
- They are not environmentally friendly. Since they are a petroleum-based product, their manufacture produces lots of greenhouse gas emissions and wastes lots of energy.
- Perform poorly in areas with high temperatures
- They require regular maintenance and repairs
3 Tab Asphalt Shingles FAQ's
How long do 3 tab asphalt shingles last?
On average, 3 tab asphalt shingles have a lifespan of 12 to 17 years. This lifespan may be longer or shorter, depending on the quality of installation and level of maintenance.
Are 3 tab asphalt shingles right for hot climates?
Asphalt shingles do not last as long in high temperatures. Therefore, if you live in an area that has long summers or excessive heat, then you will need to replace your roof sooner than someone living in a colder climate.
Are 3 tab shingles available in different colors?
Yes. If you decide to install this roofing system on your home, then you will have several color options to choose from. However, most color options are shades of brown, grey, or black.
Contact Us Today
If you are looking to replace your current roof but you are facing financial constraints, then 3 tab shingles provide a cost-effective option. And we can ensure the entire project is professionally done and completed on time. Contact us today to learn more about residential roofing services. We are also happy to provide you with a free, no-obligation estimate.